Liên từ trong tiếng Anh là một trong những thành phần vô cùng quan trọng giúp tạo nên sự liên kết đặc biệt là trong kĩ năng viết. Chính vì vậy trong bài viết này hocsinhgioi sẽ cung cấp cho bạn kiến thức tổng quan về liên từ và cách làm bài tập liên từ thông dụng nhất trong tiếng Anh.
Nội dung chính
Nội dung bài viết
- I. Kiến thức về liên từ trong tiếng Anh
- II. Bài tập về liên từ trong tiếng Anh
I. Kiến thức về liên từ trong tiếng Anh
1. Định nghĩa về liên từ
Liên từ trong tiếng Anh là từ dùng để nối hai phần, hai mệnh đề trong một câu.
Liên từ đẳng lập: and, but, or, nor, for, yet, so.
Liên từ phụ thuộc: although, because, since, unless.
2. Các loại liên từ trong tiếng Anh
- Từ đơn ví dụ: and, but, because, although
- Từ ghép (thường kết thúc bằng as hoặc that)ví dụ: provided that, as long as, in order that
- Tương liên (đi cùng với trạng từ hoặc tính từ) ví dụ: so…that
3. Hai cách dùng liên từ trong tiếng Anh theo cấu tạo
Liên từ đẳng lập: Cách dùng liên từ đẳng lập trong tiếng Anh: được dùng để nối 2 phần trong một câu có vai trò ngữ pháp độc lập với nhau. Đó có thể là các từ đơn hoặc các mệnh đề.
Liên từ phụ thuộc: Cách dùng liên từ phụ thuộc trong tiếng Anh: được dùng để nối mệnh đề phụ thuộc với mệnh đề chính của câu. Phần lớn liên từ trong tiếng Anh đều là liên từ phụ thuộc.
4. Cách dùng liên từ trong tiếng Anh theo chức năng
- Liên từ diễn tả thời gian
- Liên từ diễn tả lý do
- Liên từ diễn tả sự nhượng bộ
- Liên từ diễn tả điều kiện
- Liên từ diễn tả mục đích
- Liên từ diễn tả sự đối lập
Xem thêm những bài viết đáng chú ý
- Các dạng bài tập danh từ đếm được và không đếm được trong tiếng Anh
- 8+ bài tập về cấu trúc Enough – Đáp án có hướng dẫn chi tiết
- Các dạng bài tập thì tương lai tiếp diễn từ cơ bản đến nâng cao
II. Bài tập về liên từ trong tiếng Anh
Bài tập về liên từ có đáp án do hocsinhgioi tổng hợp. Bài tập trắc nghiệm về liên từ trong tiếng Anh có đáp án gồm những dạng bài tập thông dụng về liên từ trong tiếng Anh giúp các bạn đọc nắm chắc phần ngữ pháp tiếng Anh đã về các liên từ thường dùng trong tiếng Anh như: and, but, or, nor, for, yet, so, although, because, since, …..
Bài tập 1
Chọn đáp án đúng điền vào chỗ trống sau
1. He got wet_______ he forgot his umbrella.
A. because of B. because C. but D. and
2. He stops working _______ heavy raining.
A. in spite of B. although C. despite D. because of
3. They have a lot of difficulties in their life _______ their poverty.
A. in spite of B. although C. because D. because of
4. Tom wakes his parents up_______ playing the guitar very softly.
A. because B. in spite of C. because of D. although
5. Nobody could hear her_______ she spoke too quietly.
A. although B. because C. because of D. in spite of
6. We decided to leave early _______the party was boring.
A. although B. despite C. because D. because of
7. Many people believe him__________ he often tells a lie.
A. because B. in spite of C. although D. because of
8. _______she was very hard working; she hardly earned enough to feed her family.
A. In spite of B. Because C. Because of D. Although
9. _______her absence from class yesterday, she couldn’t understand the lesson.
A. Although B. In spite of C. Because of D. Because
10. ______her poorness, she feels happy.
A. Although B. Because C. If D. In spite of
Bài tập 2
Tìm và sửa lỗi sai ở mỗi câu sau
- Because of feeling very tired, John couldn’t sleep.
- Though Tom was ill, he couldn’t take part in his little sister’s birthday party.
- Before she was washing the dishes, her parents came home.
- Bring an umbrella with you although it rains, my mom told me.
- I had to wait for him in front of his house because of 9 p.m.
- That was the reason when they didn’t want to come back to their hometown.
- I am sure they are going to succeed so their difficulties.
Bài tập 3
Chọn đáp án đúng
1. She’s not only beautiful_________ intelligent.
a. but also
2. I was very tired, ________ I determined to walk on to the next village.
3. You can come here either on Monday__________ on Friday.
4. He had to act immediately; ________ he would have been too late.
5. They said both he_________ I were to come.
6. The weather in Dalat is neither too hot in summer________ too cold in winter.
c. or else
7. Jane is beautiful and intelligent________
8. Jane is beautiful and intelligent; ________ she’s very kind.
c. for all that
d. on the other hand
9. He never works_______ he gains all the prizes.
10. The sun is shining and there are very few clouds; _______, I am sure it is going to rain.
a. what’s more
11. Bill is in class 12, _______ John, who is a year older, is only in class 4.
12. You must leave at once, ________ you miss the train.
13. You need to get some job retraining. _______ it, you risk being laid off.
a. If so
b. If not
14. Could I have rice_______ potatoes, please?
b. but also
d. instead of
15. _______His denial, we knew that he was guilty.
b. In spite
16. John’s family is very happy_______his being a warded a scholarship.
a. because of
17. Graphite is a soft, slippery solid that is a good conductor of_______ hear and electricity.
a. not just
18. The lecture was _______ interesting and instructive.
19. Both Mary and Allen_______Jean are going on the tour.
a. as well
b. as well as
20. He likes travel, and_______ does she.
Bài tập 4
Điền một liên từ thích hợp vào chỗ trống
The person that I gave it to was a very good friend of mine at the time. His name was Kaliya (1)__________ he came from India. I knew him (2)_________ we studied together at a language school in Cambridge. (3)____________ we were from different backgrounds and cultures, we got on really well and we had the same sense of humor (4)___________ we became very good friends.
The present was a picture that had been painted of the River Cam in Cambridge. It was not so big – maybe around 10 inches by 14 inches, but it was very beautiful. It came in a gold plated frame and the picture had been drawn by a particularly well-known Cambridge artist. It had been signed by this person as well.
It’s the first time I have given this person a present, and I guess it’s quite different from presents (5)_________ I have given to other people before – I don’t recall ever giving someone a picture actually. If I’m buying for family then I’ll usually buy clothes or maybe some jewelry if it is a special occasion. Normally when I’ve bought something for friends it’s something more jokey so we can have a laugh about it, nothing that serious.
The reason (6)_________ I decided to give this particular gift is because we had spent a lot of time together in Cambridge and we had had some really fun times punting on the River Cam – that’s obviously why I thought this was an appropriate present. We used to go punting at least once a week, sometimes a couple of times. On one occasion there was a group of about ten of us that went down there, and we spent the whole day sitting by the river in the sun (7)__________ as usual we went on a boat trip together. We all have a lot of photos to remind us of this great day.
So my friend, Kaaliya, is the person that I gave a present to and this was because I felt it would always remind him of the fun times that we had and also of Cambridge.
Bài tập 5
Viết lại câu sử dụng liên từ gợi ý
- He couldn’t sleep even though he was exhausted (in spite of)
- Though he’s got an America name, he’s in fact a Vietnamese. (despite)
- In spite of her injured feet, she still got home before dark. (although)
- Athough not having eaten for more than two days, John didn’t feel hungry at all. (even though)
- He decided to get the job even though the salary was low. (in spite of)
Bài tập 6
Chọn đáp án đúng nhất
1. The sky is gray and cloudy. ________, we go to the beach.
A. Consequently B. Nevertheless C. Even though D. In spite of
2. I turned on the fan __________ the room was hot.
A. due to B. despite C. even though D. because
3. John and Wick will meet you at the restaurant tonight ________ we can find a baby-sitter.
A. although B. unless C. otherwise D. only if
4. Makay showed up for the meeting ________ I asked her not to be there.
A. because B. despite C. provided that D. even though
4. You must lend him the money for the trip. ________, He won’t be able to go.
A. Consequently B. Nevertheless C. Otherwise D. Although
5. The road will remain safe ________ the flood washes out the bridge.
A. unless B. as long as C. providing that D. since
6. The roles of men and women were not the same in ancient Greece. For example, men were both participants and spectators in the ancient Olympics. Women, ________ were forbidden to attend or participate.
A. nevertheless B. on the other hand
C. therefore D. otherwise
7. The windows were all left open. _____, the room was a real mess after the windstorm.
A. Nevertheless B. However C. Consequently D. Otherwise
8. It looks like they’re going to succeed ________ their present difficulties.
A. despite B. because of C. even though D. yet
9. ________ Ching is an honest person, you still wonder whether she’s telling the truth about the incident.
A. In spite of B. Since C. Though D. In the event that
Bài tập 7
Viết lại những câu sau đây dùng liên từ thích hợp
- We know him. We know his friends.
- The coat was soft. The coat was warm.
- It is stupid to do that. It is quite unnecessary.
- I wanted to go. He wanted to stay.
- Your arguments are strong. They don’t convince me.
- You can go there by bus. You can go there by train.
- I was feeling tired. I went to bed when I got home.
Bài tập 8
Today, I would like to talk about a time (1) ________ someone explicitly appreciated me (2) ________ my assistance.
It happened about a few years ago, (3) ________ my neighbour, Kim Lee, needed to leave the city for a few days in order to see his ailing grandmother.
To introduce Kim, he could easily be considered as one of the nicest neighbours one could ever hope for, (4) ________ he lived with his family a couple of blocks away from my house in the same neighbourhood. Kim used to own and run his own small super shop (5) ________ I used to visit almost every other day in order to buy stuff. (6) ________ , we had a very warm relationship with each other. (7)________ , when he asked me to watch after his house for a few days, I just couldn’t refuse.
Kim told me what exactly needed to be done, including picking up the newspapers from his front lawn every morning, helping his employees to open and close his super shop and turning the lights on of his house during the evening, (8) ________ keep the “heater” in his house turned on in order to keep his house warm, (9) ________ it was really cold at that time. (10) ________ he came back, he didn’t forget to thank me with a very big smile on his happy face.
(11) ________ I wasn’t exactly looking for any kind of appreciation from my neighbour, I felt really great and useful after his words of appreciation.
Đáp án bài tập 1
Đáp án bài tập 2
- Because of => In spite of
- Though => Because
- Before => While
- Although => in case
- Because of => until
- When => why
- So => despite/ in spite of
Đáp án bài tập 3
Đáp án bài tập 4
- because/ as/ since
- Though/ Although
Đáp án bài tập 5
- In spite of being exhausted, he couldn’t sleep.
- Despite of his America name, he is in fact a Vietnamese.
- Although her feet was injured, she still got home before dark.
- John didn’t feel hungry at all even though he had not eaten for more than two days.
- In spite of the low salary, he decided to get the job.
Đáp án bài tập 6
Đáp án bài tập 7
- We know him and his friends.
- The coat was both soft and warm.
- It is stupid and quite unnecessary to do that.
- I wanted to go but he wanted to stay.
- Your arguments are strong but they don’t convince me.
- You can go there either by bus or by train.
- I was feeling tired so I went to bed when I got home
Đáp án bài tập 8
- Even though
Qua bài viết về cách làm bài tập liên từ trong tiếng Anh, hocsinhgioi hi vọng bạn có thể biết được các liên từ thường dùng trong tiếng Anh, biết cách dùng và cách phân biệt để áp dụng vào trong bài tập cũng như thêm một phần kiến thức cho bạn. Chúc các bạn học tập tốt!